Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
37 deg South Latitude -150 deg Longitude.Green Cape Lightstation
is situated on a point of land projecting from Ben Boyd National Park just south of Eden, NSW, Australia. The lighthouse is the southernmost lighthouse in New South Wales.
Designed in 1880 by colonial architect James Barnett and built by Albert Aspinal in 1883 Green Cape Lightstation stands 29m tall and was the first cast concrete lighthouse tower in Australia. It is NSW's second tallest lighthouse
During construction a 6 metre white clay belt was discovered, forcing the foundation to be dug to 9 metres deep resulting in high cost over-runs which forced administrators to complete the lighthouse when the builder defaulted just before completion.
The original revolving lantern was a Chance Brothers design and fueled by kerosene and mantle, producing 100,000 candelas visible for a radius of 34km.
in 1962 the light was electrified and later in 1967, upgraded to 1,000,000 candelas.
In 1998 the tower was replaced by the latest automated steel lattice skeleton tower with a solar powered light.
There were 3 lighthouse keepers and families owing to the extreme isolation and the very arduous work involved in manning and maintaining the light, not to mention the need for total self sufficiency in order to survive.
These days the lighthouse keepers quarters are available for overnight or weekly accommodation by contacting the National Parks office in Eden.