that the position of the sun in these images is incorrect in that it is positioned here directly south rather than west as it should be.
The Martin Bridge
is located at Taree,a town of around 20,000 people, on the Mid North Coast of NSW, Australia.
Prior to 1940 the Pacific Highway route passed from Newcastle to Stroud, Gloucester, Kramback and on to Tinonee where vehicles were carried by ferry across the Manning River to Taree Estate and points north.
The opening of the Martin Bridge in 1940 was an important step in the development of the Manning Valley marking the transition from river to road transport and allowed re-routing of the Pacific Highway via Buladelah and Nabiac to Taree.
The bridge,named after Mr L.O.Martin the then Minister for Works and Local Government,was built at a cost of 97,000 Pounds over 2 years in 1937 and 1938.
The Martin Bridge is an 11 span steel and concrete bridge spanning 1518 feet.
Originally it had a lifting span with 2 counter balanced concrete weights to allow droghers and other vessels servicing the river trade up river as far as Wingham Wharf.
These days the bridge is just a local bridge since the Freeway was constructed in 1997 bypassing Taree.